Re: DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Horsley wrote:

For me, it turns out that the best settings are described
by the dialog as:

Font rendering: Best shapes

In the details... dialog I have

Smoothing: Grayscale
Hinting: Medium
Subpixel order: RGB (though that didn't really seem to
have an effect if I changed it).

I think the subpixel order will only have an effect when subpixel smoothing is selected, so with greyscale smoothing you'd expect no difference.

I too tend to find greyscale easier on the eye than subpixel, the rainbow fringing with subpixel is offputting (even with correct RGB/BGR order)

though for the moment with DejaVu Sans I've left subpixel turned on.

The fonts actually look OK on my 52 dot per inch display
with these settings (on the other hand I didn't need to
change anything to make the original fonts look OK :-).

52dpi, what display is that low?