Re: New system-config-printer

On 6/22/06, Florian Festi <ffesti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

FC 6 contains a completely new implemented system-config-printer.

Features are:
 * Directly works on the cups configuration (no more alchemist)
 * enabling/disabling printers
 * Support for all PPD options
 * Support for restrictions between PPD option settings
 * can configure remote cups servers (if they allow remote
   administration)
 * limited configuration of the cups server itself

There also is a new implementation of hal-cups-utils (as the old version
used the old system-config-printer)

Features are:
 * enable/disable USB printers when attached/removed
 * tries to automatically configure USB printer when first attached
 * ask eggcups for make/model if auto detection failed

As this is brand new code testing is highly appreciated.

        Florian Festi

How well will the new config app handle PSC printers? Esp. those that
make use of hplip?

Any screenshots? I am not yet ready to go to rawhide on my throw away
machine just yet.

Peace
--
To be updated...