Re: mount options

John

Right now it can't be done in FC-5.  For better or worse upstream
decided to take the policy configuration out of HAL.  They are working
on PolicyKit which should allow for better control over policy such as
mounting.  We are in the process of evaluating it.  Options right now
are to add a static mount to /etc/fstab or
edit /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount.  If someone wants
to go more indepth and send a patch
for /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount which uses the old
policy keys from HAL I have no issues with releasing a new package for
FC-5 as long as it is deemed to be secure.

I'm interested in this. I've struggled with configurable mounting of removable flash storage for a while. At the moment (FC5) I have fallen back to manually mounting, which is a pain.

I'd love to see a sensible shortname= default (win95 in my case) so I can see the correct case on my mounted ogg player.

I'd like noatime option for some flash filesystems.

I'd like the system to handle large flash devices with multiple partitions sensibly.

I'd like to see consistent treatment of a disk type (eg. Compact Flash) whether it's connected through USB, firewire or a PCMCIA reader. I have seen some unexpected behaviour on a SATA-only laptop where / is on /dev/sda and the CF appears as /dev/hda...

I imagine that the policy on a machine should allow the logged in user to have access on a per-adapter basis (eg. allowed to access USB disks but not internal ones). Then the user should be able to choose how to mount devices with interactive prompting if necessary. Is that rocket science?

I'll have a look at the hal scripts tonight...

-Cam

--
camilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                                 <--