Re: rawhide report: 20060522 changes

On 5/24/06, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Build System wrote:

> glibc-2.4.90-9
> --------------
> * Sun May 21 2006 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.4.90-9
> - update from CVS
>   - big NIS+ changes

Maybe I'm just ignorant about the field, but is any RedHat/Fedora
user still using NIS+ instead of LDAP in corporate environments?

I wonder whether NIS, NIS+, Hesiod and DB support in glibc could
be dropped altogether to reduce the size of Core and simplify
dependencies.

Maybe those NSS modules could just be splitted out and moved
to Extras?

Sadly, NIS is still a product of choice for a lot of environments (as
ugly and insecure as it is). I dont think I have ever seen a NIS+
environment at any of the organizations I have worked at.. but that
was mainly due to the 'closed' nature of it. The main reason for NIS
to be used is that it really only takes 2-3 files, a couple of little
edits, and poof you have it working. I am just starting to look at
Fedora Directory Server and it looks like it will take a LOT more work
than that to get it working (or even getting a small LDAP service that
would duplicate the 3 things most people use NIS for: user accounts,
centralized passwords, and email aliases)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator