Re: SMP mptable bad signature

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:21:03PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> It's a BIOS bug, nothing we can do to fix it.
> Check for an update on the manufacturers site ?

No actually its our bug. Some BIOSes contain template SMP tables which have
intentionally incomplete data and no checksum. This is used by the BIOS to
generate a real table if SMP is present.

We should not be reporting a wrongly checksummed SMP table we should be
skipping it silently. This used to be right in 2.0 but someone has obviously
elevated debugging code too far since.

Alan