Re: CD-RW problems

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 16 March 2006 10:31, David Timms wrote:
I think it might apply to any software that can do rw erase, not just k3b.

Interesting reading there, with many of the messages recognised from my experiments (see Users list, thread 'Are RWs a problem?'). The difference, though, is that on my system k3b appears to have done the erase, but mkisofs fails. You are left with a disk that cannot be mounted. At one point I got lots of 'bad sector' warnings, and every time I got 'I/O error' reports. Following a lead I got from a LUG member, I found that cdrecord, from a terminal, could not do a blank and record in one command, but if the command is split they work fine. I successfully burned to a disk that had seemed to be unusable, from reading k3b's output.
I found that some RW discs seem to always fail as you mention, and I think the problem might be heat related (they get real hot): if you separate the processes it can work on the same disc that would repeatedly fail.
DT.