Re: X Window System or development libraries not found

VnPenguin wrote:
Hi all,
I'm trying to build icewm 1.2.25 (from tarball) on my FC5t3 box. Just
run ./configure and I have an error about Xorg devel package:

checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for basename... yes
checking for sysctlbyname... no
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
checking for getloadavg... yes
checking for kern.cp_time... no
checking for X... no
configure: error: X Window System or development libraries not found.
Make sure you have headers and libraries installed!

I installed xorg-x11-proto-devel.

I think that FC5 has changed something related to /usr/X11R6 & /usr
for all X header file/library,... but I don't how to fix it.

Any help will be appreciated.

In X11R6 and earlier, all of the X development stuff was kept in a
single package, however in X11R7, each library is in its own individual
rpm package, with its own separate -devel subpackage.

When building software, you need to know exactly which individual X
libraries the software needs, and install the devel package for each
individual X library.

Additionally, X11R6 resided in /usr/X11R6, whereas X11R7 resides
directly in /usr.  Any software that hard codes X development files,
libraries, binaries, etc. under /usr/X11R6 will need to be ported to
work with X11R7.  The smart way to do that is to dynamically determine
where individual binaries/files are located.  Slightly less reliable
than that is to hard code multiple static locations to check and fall
back.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                      Proud Canadian.