Re: FC5, progression or regression?

Jonathan Berry wrote:
On 2/28/06, David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Jones wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:59:54PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
 > Mike A. Harris (mharris@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
 > > >a 3 GHz P4 processor for heaven's sake. It should run FC5 like the wind.
 > >
 > > That's why it is a test release, to find bugs.  Don't use test releases
 > > if you expect flawless OS operation and perfect performance.
 >
 > However, if it's *significantly* less performance, it could certainly
 > signify something that's wrong.

Current kernels still have slab debugging on (Because we still have
bugs that this is tripping up that need whacking).  The increased
overhead of this sucks up memory bandwidth, and I wouldn't be
surprised if shared-memory video chipsets feel some pain.
With glxgears, I see the gears update about 15 times in 10 seconds, and
the results are (AMD athlon 2600+, 512ram, nvidia fx5600)# glxgears
888 frames in 5.4 seconds = 165.811 FPS
798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 158.416 FPS
912 frames in 5.7 seconds = 161.284 FPS
798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 158.274 FPS
798 frames in 5.1 seconds = 155.004 FPS
It's hard to tell if this is just a stobing effect ;-)

I think it was at least an order of magnitude higher in FC4 - from
memory approximately 5000 f/s (but perhaps only with the nvidia
(non-open) driver).

Are you able to run glxgears with the nv (open-source) driver?  It
does not work for me (x86_64 PCI-e 6600 GT):
Yes, the above slow results are with nv (ie default installer chosen driver / config) - there is no error, however it appears that the gears are not being clearly updated on the screen; CPU use goes to 100% but I think that would be normal :)
from /var/log/X log:
(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
(II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.8
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
(--) Chipset GeForce FX 5600 found
(II) NV(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
        Screen to screen bit blits

DaveT