Metacity dumping functionality - sessions needs cleared (was everything install)

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Hi

Hello!
All my windows launched end up stuck to the top of my screen and
there is no way to switch to previously launched applications.
The last application launched has focus. It appears there is no
window manager. Metacity is the WM, GNOME is the desktop.

Is there a bug report on this? . This doesnt happen for me. Does it
 happen for anyone else at all?

Dumping ~/.metacity/sessions/* allows the metacity window manager to function again. Someone earlier posted that clering metacity sessions allowed functionality again to return for them. I decided to try that also, since there was no management for windowing programs. I noticed there were sessions recorded back to June were contained in the sessions before I cleared the sessions. Does metacity tidy up at all or keeps saving all sessions forever?

Yes it happens to me.  Firefox even crashes randomly. I use
openoffice write and firefox at the same time one looses focus while
the other one is open.  When firefox crashes I have to reopen it.

Until now, I have discovered a program called windows selector in
gnome that lets me browse and switch between windows.  This program
fixes that problem.

The window selector was installed in the panel. I believe if there is no window manager, there is nothing that the window selector can detect. I thought to try selecting the applet when the program first failed.

you browse them.

I will have to try openoffice in conjunction with firefox to see if I see the problem you are having.

Back in GNOME, all panels as they were before the metacity overload/corruption.

Jim