Re: Fast user switching - or other

Gerry Tool wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 01:51 +0100, Marcin Grabda wrote:
It is really disappointing. Windows XP has such feature since 5 years. Couldn't we provide option to disable/enable this when needed? Removing it is not a good way.
Windows XP does a lot of really really ugly things that we shouldn't
copy.  This being one of them.

I agree.  User switching should not even be in Windows XP.  It causes a
lot of confusion with laziness being the most usual reason for using it.

I find that when admin'ing a machine that the ability to tell a GUI tool that I want it to start with root rights would be handy. My current method is invike a terminal, su - in that terminal, then start the app, in background.

I know that some apps (I guess ones that are marked as being useless without root access), invoke the ~"please give root password" dialog. Is there already a nice way to start other programs (most common example for me: nmapfe and gnome-terminal) as root (or even another user) ?

DaveT.