Re: Fast user switching from Davyd's GNOME 2.14 preview

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Yes - basically, without finding a good, solid solution to device
ownership (groups aren't it), having fast user switching on is
very problematic.
I would think there wouldn't be a "secure" way to do this. Giving multiple users access to mounted external drives would be problematic. Things to worry about less would be video and sound devices.

Overall though I don't think flat out disabling the option is the best solution. In my mind the only option that would work would be groups, unless dyanmically changing ACLs might work. A compromise would be to add an option to enable it with a security warning. It isn't like people don't setup their desktops to auto-login knowing they are comprimising security. But overall with physical access any form of security other than encrypted everything is pretty much worthless, and encrypted everything is not the default either.