Re: Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

David D. Hagood wrote:
Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver? gnome-screensaver does not do DPMS, so my monitor stays on all the time boiling the cathodes away. gnome-screensaver doesn't have the eyecandy that xscreensaver has. In short, it seems a far less capable replacement.

So why was xscreensaver removed?

Good question regarding removal of a better product for a scaled down and less configurable product. I prefer xscreensaver over gnome-screensaver myself.

Gnome-screensaver was improved to have the ability to use xsreensaver items if installed. Not including the xscreensavers package at all would make Linux look more homogenized with MS Windows. Though xscreensaver is highly an eycandy item, Windows does not have such attractive features. Xscreensaver should stay at least for a marketing item to attract users from Windows to Linux.

I guess xscreensaver is still available for Linux. The program most likely will become available from other sources quickly.

I'm still removing gnome-screensaver in favor of xscreensaver.

Jim