Re: CDs mount to volume name

Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

And when I get that CD from my co-worker, or a customer, and put it in
my drive, I have no idea what directory to look for.  I now have to
scan '/media' looking for a change...
...Oh that must be where to find the files (this time).
Every CD I get will be in a different spot and every time I'm going to
have to go a hunting, even thought its always in the same physical and
logical drive.

Give me the good old days... it was a whole lot more intuitive,
not to mention convienient.

Naming the mountpoint by the label or volume name is not a smart practice. The only effect this has is to make using the cli less easy. I label the discs that I make with rather long titles and would not like to type /media/Customer one system backup from 2/10/2006 with all the escape characters in order to change directories. Typing cd /media/cdrecorder and typing ls to list the files is a better idea.
I do like this information displayed on the desktop with the label though.

This sounds similar to a problem I had with logical volumes a few weeks
ago....

I was migrating from FC3 to FC4, so I installed FC4 onto a new drive,
and then wanted to mount my old FC3 drive, and copy over my personal
files.  But with the LVM turned on by default, I had no idea what to
mount.  And because it had the same volume name/group as the existing
FC4 drive, I couldn't figure out how to add a second volume group to
the system.  Especially since the one I was trying to add had the same
name as the one already running.  The documentation didn't help, and
between me and and associate, we never figured out how to accomplish
the job.  Fortunately I had a backup of my data, because by the end
of the attempt, my old FC3 disk had been trashed.

Moral of the story... I no longer use the default of LVM, because
it gets in the way, by trying to be too cutesy with names rather
than raw devices.

I noticed a problem someone was having on the Fedora-list with an lvm system with the same labels and LVM information for the disk he inserted into a USB enclosure then tried to access the information. I could not help him with the recovery of his data with the two exactly labeled LVMs. I was able to recover my data from an LVM from a disk inserted into a USB enclosre on a system with regular partitions. I had to activate the LVMs and then manually mount the partions to directories that I had to create for mountpoints. If you still have a disk with the LVM install, you might be able to recover data from it using a traditionally partitoned system.

On the other hand, _maybe_ there was a way to do it, but dammed it we
could figure it out from the documentation.  :-(

There could be a way, borrowing from the /media/crazy\ wacked\ out\ concept\ for\ volume\ names\ in\ media/

Performing ls on the directory is really impressive. Do I have this many directories or is one of them a name?

[root@cornette-lt media]# ls
cdrecorder  crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media  usbdisk

Ah! Let's use ls -la!
 ls -la
total 40
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 Feb 10 21:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Feb 10 18:32 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jan  6 06:08 cdrecorder
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 21:00 crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jan  6 06:08 usbdisk

No let's change to 'crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media' directory.
cd crazy\ wacked\ out\ concept\ for\ volume\ names\ in\ media/

[root@cornette-lt crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media]# pwd
/media/crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media

LVM problems:

If LVM disks in USB enclosures are mounted, they could be inherit an appending to the volume group with a usb extension. Either that or random numbers for the volume groups could be used in the future for LVM naming. (8-character)

--
Learn from other people's mistakes, you don't have time to make your own.