Re: CDs mount to volume name

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 2/8/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the first case, the volume name is at the mercy of the software
vendor. In the scond, it is at the mercy of the individual
administrator. Either of whom may have given little or no thought to
using volume names in this way.

Have the developers considered that this feature may break programs
that routinely mount DVDs, such as Bacula?

Why the hell would an adminstrator rely on "desktop" automount
functionality for amanda virtual tapes?

Who said they would? _I_ said I have problems working at the console, with stuff getting mounted and then opened in the desktop (which might not be mine).

I don't see that software would be different; yast (in SUSE) and apt-get (Debian) both do CD mounts. I've not had a problem on SUSE with CDs (yet), but on SUSE the mount-point for CDs is stable (tho there are way too many symlinks interfering with tab-completion).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait