Re: SATA question

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

I thought you got 2228MB/s ?

You're right, copy and paste error from
"4456 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2229.43 MB/sec",
4456MB/s would be truly impressive.

Me: 400Mhz single-channel Kingston 1GB, Athlon64 3700+ 1MB L2, hdparm: 1200 MB/s
Friend: 3200 Corsair dual-channel, hdparm: 1800 MB/s
you: p4 630 dual ddr2 667Mhz,  hdparm: <insert high # here>

yes it was 2228MB/s

and dragoran get 2765.83 MB/s on his AMD64 DDR474

Hmm... allright. I guess dual channel helps.

I should hope so ...

It no longer seems like an intelligent idea to remove my PATA drive from the LVM group for reasons of speed, it has exactly the same performance as the other one, and I get extra 80G (and not having to deal with the rescue CD to shrink partitions - which btw doesn't work at the moment)

Have you tried LVM on RAID0 (if you can stand the loss of reliability)
I can't remember the hdparm numbers I got from it, I think it was not quite linear for the uncached part i.e. > 100MB/s, will test again soon.

I think it is also possible to do LVM stripe straight onto the disks, rather than LVM on top of mdraid stripe, but I can't seem to do it in the installer, perhaps that's considered too esoteric for anaconda, and I could manage it if left the space and created the LVM by hand afterwards.

Not sure if there would be a speed advantage by reducing the layering.
I will eventually split my 2x250GB drives something like 2x50GB mirrored and 2x200GB striped, to give me a reliable area and a large/fast area.