Re: root can start "mahjongg" in 4 seconds, normal user in 39 seconds!

Miles Lane wrote:

Hello,

Today I have noticed that when I launch apps, I first see a "Starting
<progname>..." entry appear in the Window List applet.  Then, the
"Starting..." disappears and about thirty seconds later the program
window gets rendered.  I tested starting mahjongg as root from a
command shell.  This brought up the program in 4 seconds.  I exited
from the root login shell and tried launching mahjongg as a normal
user from the command shell.  It took over forty seconds for the
program window to appear.

I thought maybe this was a font cache issue and tried running
fc-cache.  This did not help.  I saw that recently updated fontconfig
packages were made available for OpenSUSE for a similar problem.  Is
this a known problem with the current set of yum packages for FC5T2?

Any ideas?

Are you running FC5test2 or do you have all the updates and thereby running Fedora development branch aka rawhide?

--
Rahul