Re: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: udev-071-0.FC4.1

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 22:37 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:35 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

have you changed any options in the bios ?  Usually this happens
if you disable/enable 'combined mode' (sometimes referred to as 'legacy')

Can't find anything like this in BIOS.

I'm on a DELL Inspiron Laptop that's about 2 years old.  Not sure it
would have a Legacy option (or need one).

R.

Legacy support is also referred to as USB keyboard with the choice of enabled. It is for support for windows 2000 and before era systems where the keyboard "looks" like a ps2 device to the operating system.

Device conflicts are common with this legacy support enabled. Entering safe mode though for older MS systems and earlier alternative OS versions does not work however without legacy support.

I have an HP laptop where it is referred to as legacy support and had to be disabled in order for my laptop keyboard to function. If you don't need the BIOS feature, disable it.

The only USB stuff in BIOS that was even vaguely like this was the
option to have the Laptop recognize USB devices .  This is needed to
boot from UCB floppies, Keys or HDD.

Rodd

The USB legacy support for keyboards is probably not a problem for you with the DVD problem.

The only BIOS items that I adjusted on a Dell computer were related to the video, so I did not look for USB related items.

So you are experiencing a massive degeneration in performance when the dvd is set as an ATAPI (hdx) but not when it is recognized as an SCSI (sdx) device?

Sorry for the off-topic lead.
Jim