Re: FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Hi

I like this. This is great. Security does matter. but considering the threats out there, what is the
probability that your machine(home machine) will get
compromised?
My home system is really irrelevant to the conversation but if you mean in general user home systems then there is a good amount of potential there.

I do care about security issues and I am rethinking
what you are telling me, but say you are not going to
connect that machine with the everything install to
the internet.  You just want it for your
nephews/nieces to play games/word process, listen to
music, watch movies, etc.  How is the "everything
installed" gonna hurt here with security?
Any belief that security is only important in the networked systems and home users dont need it is invalid. That kind of sloppy thinking would cause way too many problems. You will continue to see increased security focus on providing home user desktops through efforts like SELinux.

Now the thing changes a little if you have a server
running and that machine gets connected to the
internet with a fast connection, then it does matter
so I get your point.  You need to have it constantly
updating, otherwise your system could become
compromised.
Security is not exclusive for servers. It in increasingly important for the desktops too. Its relatively hard problem since servers are highly targeted compared to desktops but doesnt mean we should just give up and not care about that particular segment of the Fedora user base.

--
Rahul