gnome-screensaver issues

I don't see anything in bugzilla about this, so I'm guessing this is somehow specific to just me or my hardware, but I'm not sure what would be the cause: I've got gnome-screensaver enabled at 10 minutes, and I have the lock screen option un-checked. At 10 minutes, the screen goes black, but then I can't get out of the screensaver using the mouse or keyboard. If I hit ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to a text console, login, and then killall gnome-screensaver, I can then get back into my X session. But then the screen starts blanking (and turning off my monitor) every 1 minute if idle.

I'm on a thinkpad T43 with an ATI chipset. Does this make any difference? Any thoughts?

DC