Re: FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Then, I got to the package selection
screen. I know that they're still working on it, but come on! With no
'everything' option,I got very minimal packages.

Not this again. This is a feature not a bug :-)

Everything installations are generally a bad idea.

* Dependency issues - One of the reasons behind doing a everything installation is avoid dealing with dependency issues. However that is largely not a problem now since yum install and yum groupinstall along with along programs like pirut. Refer to the yum guide available at http://fedora.redhat.com/docs

If I were to do an "everything" install, it might be
a. To evaluate all the software
b. To create an evironment where I can rebuild everything.

I think both wishes worth supporting. I think the view expressed by "CodeHeads" that 'my way is the only way" is plain wrong.

<snip>

* Redundancy - While Fedora Core itself is slowing moving towards providing more packages as part of the Fedora Extras and possibly doing several different targets the current selection uses multiple programs that provide the same functionality, browsers or desktop environments for example and its better for users to use a graphical tool like pirut and install packages as necessary.

I find having to dig out CDs later a pain. I'd rather have everything there from the start, especially if I didn't know what I wanted.

* Security, manageability and performance - As more and more packages are installed on a system the amount of updates and interactions between the packages that the user has to handle drastically increases. For users who are using Fedora as a development system or using it just to learn Linux where the system serves no other purpose and a high amount of bandwidth is available this might make sense but for others users who use it deploy it at various levels the amount of updates and potential security issues that they have to deal with packages that they might not even use is a additional burden. Moreover the additional packages installed might need listen to network connections by default making the systems potentially more vulnerable by increasing the attack vector. Additional services enabled by default also affect performance.

I didn't think OP said anything about having services needlessly enabled.

There are times when having everything installed is a good and proper thing to do, and that should be the local administator's choice, not the vendor's.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait