Re: FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

Why do you think it keeps coming up?

You are the first for this release.
This is the first release that doesn't have it. ;)

Everything installations are generally a bad idea.

Generally but not always!
In my case, one of the things I'm doing is looking for things that don't have SELinux policy that need it.

What do you mean by that?
I've been using the 'strict' policy since the 'Targeted/Strict' split and looking for things to run that will produce avc denied messages.

* Redundancy - While Fedora Core itself is slowing moving towards providing more packages as part of the Fedora Extras and possibly doing several different targets the current selection uses multiple programs that provide the same functionality, browsers or desktop environments for example and its better for users to use a graphical tool like pirut and install packages as necessary.

For those of us that run 'rawhide' redundancy is good and it saves time to have "more than one way to skin a cat" already installed.
Don't you want "everything" tested?

Use yum to install the rest.

'yum install available' doesn't work! try it =;)

* Security, manageability and performance - As more and more packages are installed on a system the amount of updates and interactions between the packages that the user has to handle drastically increases. For users who are using Fedora as a development system or using it just to learn Linux where the system serves no other purpose and a high amount of bandwidth is available this might make sense

You just gave another reason to have a 'everything' option. Plus don't you want to make it easier for people to test everything? I'll bet there are things in FC that no one uses and never gets tested.

Use yum.

see above

BTW, what are you doing to get the number of CDs back down to 4?

Not a agreed upon goal AFAIK.

Just another indication of bloat or the need to move more things to Extras.

but for others

users who use it deploy it at various levels the amount of updates and potential security issues that they have to deal with packages that they might not even use is a additional burden. Moreover the additional packages installed might need listen to network connections by default making the systems potentially more vulnerable by increasing the attack vector. Additional services enabled by default also affect performance.

That has nothing to do with whether or not there is a 'everything' option.

It does. Everything opens up more services.

That for a long time produced bunches of avc denied messages.

thanks for all the good work-- It's looking good.

Richard