Re: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

On 01/09/2006 11:16 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 13:25 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
Debatable.  I may be authorized to connect to certain networks, and
you're not.  So the network & authorization information is specific to
my user, and shouldn't be available to yours.

That doesn't really make much sense in the Linux world -- if the network
is configured and running then all users on the machine _have_ got
access to the it. I think there are some iptables hacks around to
attempt to limit network access to certain users, but we don't ship
them, do we? We certainly don't attempt to use them.
Well, we live in the real world, not the linux world. For example, on my personal, privately owned laptop, I want to access Red Hat's VPN and its WEP keys. I store my keys in the keyring. It is not unreasonable for me to allow my sister, or my girlfriend, or whatnot to use my laptop at times. However, they do not get access to Red Hat's internal network. They have their own unpriveledged user accounts on my laptop. I don't see how this is an unreasonable situation in the real world.