Re: Seriously messed up system - is there anyway back?

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
Hi,

If you still had the yum cache, you could drop to runlevel 1 with selinux=0 and change to the yum development cache. Make sure there are no kernel rpms in the cache and run rpm -Uvh with maybe --replacepkgs and --replacefiles as options. For kernel rpms, the rpm -ivh should work.

As you can see, this happily worked. I wonder what went fertang?

TTFN

Paul

SELinux in my case (now fixed in policy). It downloaded and gav the impression that the packages were installed. Querying the "just installed" packages showed no package at all installed for particular packages queried.

Your case might be related to the same temporary SELinux problem or something along those lines.

As suggested by another reply, you ought to query your installed packages and verify that you do not have multiple entries with older package rpm versions in the database along with the latest rpm version.

Also querying all packages as root for missing files might be a good decision. (chroot and firewall rpms show missing files as a regular user, they check out alright as root). Expect the missing files for mozilla and for cups. All other files should not have problems. (in my case anyway).

If you do get missing files other than mozilla or cups, you can get and reinstall the package again. I used rpm -e --justdb and followed it by yum install <package-with-missing-files>. I believe there were a couple of multiversion rpms and a few missing files before reviewing the package contents via rpm queries.

Jim