Upstream changes

It is 5 days away from the next scheduled devel freeze for test 2. I don't get the feeling yet that things have settled down. I thought that this time around we would see a lot less of "upstream" changes such as the move to gnome 2.13.4 and still more gcc and glibc changes. Isn't it kind of risky to be making those kind of changes now ?