Re: x86_64 smp 2.6.15-1.1781_FC4 in ?

dragoran wrote:

I noticed that smp is enabled in the 2.6.15 fc kernel build (from daves people page)

I'm slightly puzzled by the mixture of cpu architectures and fedora versions between your subject and message body, but ...

why is this done? maybe it does not hurt but why does a smp kernel exists than? where is the differnce?

Do you mean why not have a non-smp kernel for x86_64? If so probably because many(most?/all?) EMT64 CPUs support HT or dual core.

Or do you mean why have SMP and non-SMP versions for other CPUs? If so because various types of locks can be optimized away if not using SMP.