Re: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: kernel-2.6.14-1.1654_FC4

fedora-test-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:44:41 -0500
From: "Dave Jones" <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: kernel-2.6.14-1.1654_FC4
To: fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Fedora Test Update Notification
FEDORA-2005-1196
2005-12-31

Product     : Fedora Core 4
Name        : kernel
Version : 2.6.14 Release : 1.1654_FC4 Summary : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
Description :
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

* Wed Dec 28 2005 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> [2.6.14-1.1654_FC4]
- Fix usb storage oops. (#176576)
- Fix ACPI owner_id limit.
- Decrease stack usage in block layer.

* Tue Dec 27 2005 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
- 2.6.14.5
- usbhid incorrectly claimed wacom penpartner tablet. (#161241)
- Reinstate the y2k ACPI blacklist cutoff.
  It broke working suspend for apm users.

* Fri Dec 16 2005 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Rebase to final 2.6.14.4

The last SMP kernel to boot successfully on my dual PIII box was 2.6.14.1.1637smp_FC4. All non-SMP kernels boot successfully. The SMP kernels (after 1637) do not recognize the network or video cards.

So I tried this kernel to see if it would boot.

The 1637 shows this message in dmesg:
ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI

The later kernels, including 1654, do not show this message.
They appears to enable ACPI in both SMP and non-SMP versions.

Please provide suggestions for tests, or instructions for information gathering, or a bug ticket where I can attach logs, etc.