Re: #prelink# semi-disaster

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 12:18:32PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 10:08:28PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

Deleting all of the #prelink#<random> from /tmp left one obviously broken symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

If in such moment you will rerun 'ldconfig' then all correct links
should be created.  Indeed, this is not precisely obvious.

Would I run this against the entire /usr/lib directory or just against the particular library where the problem was encountered?

You can just type 'ldconfig' and that is all.  It does not take very
long.  Obviously after removing "bad prelink leftovers".  You may be
more spefic if you wish.

Thanks! After briefly browsing the documentation seemed to be more option specific and not too much related to when to perform certain actions.

locate '#prelink#' presently returns no transitional libraries. At the time the problem was encountered, there were about 5 returned libraries that returned results.

I have seen something of that sort but I do not know how to
reproduce it.  Possibly by reboot while prelink is running. This may
happen as prelink is running from cron, which may mean anacron, and
you may be not aware that this is happening.  A test installation is
likely to be rebooted quite often.

The problem is encountered on a laptop which is shutdown frequently after use. When the library.so.n.#prelink#<random-characters> file is encountered, there is usually the library.so.n file intact with an earlier date for it. When the #prelink# files are located, usually there are entries for the same library with dates either a day or two later for the #prelink# version. This problem is bothersome. However, the problem with library symlinked to /tmp/prelink<random-characters> scares me since I clean /tmp frequently and realize that others use ramdisks for files destined to /tmp. Prelink might be better off using var/cache/prelink for its temporary action for in transition actions.

jim

   Michal