Re: Verifying rpms as root compared to user - missing files

Phil Knirsch wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

After reinstalling a lot of packages that failed verification for missing elements due to the earlier problem, the below rpms still show missing (just two entries as root, many more as user, not visible to user)

missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global/content
missing     /var/cache/foomatic

How would one get these two missing files installed? I tried several options to rpm on the yum downloaded rpms. --replacefiles -replacepkgs, totally removing and reinstalling the rpms. Removing the rpms, cheaning the directories where the files live, but no luck.

Rpm verification as user sent me on a wild goose chase. (firestarter, chrooted stuff and the like.)

Jim

Funny enough, i stumbled across exactly those verify "errors" yesterday.

The problem lies in the postscripts that are run from those packages. Mozilla runs /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8/mozilla-rebuild-databases.pl which basically removes everything in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/ and recreates it from scratch. Foomatic has this as the first few lines of it's postinstall script:

if [ -d /var/cache/foomatic ] ; then
   /bin/rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic
fi

So, no wonder /var/cache/foomatic is missing after an install/updateb ;)

For mozilla, i'm nor sure what can/should be done. For foomatic otoh it would be much better to remove the contents of /var/cache/foomatic only, not the complete directory.

Read ya, Phil

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the system is clean as I can get it for now. At least the test condition works.

I believe I ran the mozilla script from a shell after reading something from a google search on the fedoralegacy list, but with the 12 instead of 7 after mozilla-1.7.n The missing file content for mozilla went down to only the one listed above after the script completed.

Jim