Re: Fluendo announces free MP3 audio decoding for GNU/Linux and Unix

Hi

Yep, only I bought the ipod back when they first came out before there were any good free format players, if I could buy another one now, I would, but I'm not one to waste money ;)

Guess I'll give this a shot again, last time I installed it, the support for other formats wasn't the best.

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Its a matter of building up critical mass. From the business perspective its merely a question of customer demand. If enough of their potential customers choose to use a competition's product because it supported a royalty free format and let them know that, then will introduce support for that format in a future revision. It might be as simple as modifying and providing a new firmware update. The initial adopters would face some inconveniences of course.

--
Rahul
Learn. Network. Experience open source.