Re: Up2date replacement

seth vidal wrote:

what we had considered was using the fastest mirror plugin to sort the
list of mirrors. Then store that sorted list in the repo cache
directory. Then redownload the list and re-sort/store it every 8 hours
or so, same as how we're storing the repomd.xml data, now.

I for one am not sure that "fastest mirror" is the one I want to use.

There are financial benefits to many people in Australia using their local cache peering arrangements.

When it comes to dialup, I can't imagine I'd notice a difference between a site on Westnet (my IAP) or one in Helsinki.

We need to be given the chance to choose a mirror, and to know where that mirror is: the name www.au.fedoracore.org doesn't tell me whether it's in QLD, WA, or even off-shore in TAS.

--

Cheers
John