Re: Up2date replacement

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, seth vidal wrote:

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 19:02 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 10:18 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

where a repository oscilates between today's view and some obsolete view.

Perhaps I should file a yum RFE to make yum not only select mirrors for access
speed, but also for the recentness of their metadata file?

what we had considered was using the fastest mirror plugin to sort the
list of mirrors. Then store that sorted list in the repo cache
directory. Then redownload the list and re-sort/store it every 8 hours
or so, same as how we're storing the repomd.xml data, now.

Well, here's a quick-n-dirty proof of concept version of fastestmirror
with persistent cache of mirror response times:
http://laiskiainen.org/yum/plugins/fastestmirror/fastestmirror-persistent.py

Certainly makes a big difference, a no-op 'yum update' on my system is
around 11s when all mirrors are timed on each run, with the above
version the consecutive runs come down to ~5s.

is this including the repomd.xml caching?

No, that's just plain 2.4.0.

	- Panu -