Re: Up2date replacement

Don Springall wrote:

Since the Up2date icon has disappeared off the desktop I assume Fedora is going with some other standard way of doing updates.

Yes. Pup along with various other enhancements not implemented yet.

I currently find that updating in fedora is a hit and miss proposition and I do not trust any of them. I ran yumex this morning and it reports nothing to update. The same with pup. I run up2date and it finds updates. Obliviously yumex and pup decided to use some not uptodate mirror. I am starting to believe that YUMEX uses some random number generator to pick which mirror it uses. At least with Up2date it tells you what channel it is starting with.

Yum connects to a random mirror too and lists the mirror name. fastestmirror plugins in yum-utils as part of Fedora Extras might help. Not sure about yumex. If it doesnt do that file a enhancement request on it.

Does pup and YUMEX use --obsoletes by default ? Who knows !

Yes it does.

Up2date lets you decide to install the updates or not after everything is downloaded so you can do that later if you have run out of time

Look at  yumdownloader in yum-utils.

Microsoft updates do break you box sometimes but not more often than "rawhide" updates.

Apples and oranges. Microsoft does not provide daily updates of its development branch.

This is one area that I think REDHAT should spend a lot more development dollars on. It would also help if there were more groups for "group update" ie one for Gnome, KDE, Openoffice and Eclipse etc if yum and yumex are the direction things are going.

Try yumgrouplist and yumgroupinstall. See the man page and http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum for details. system-config-packages is planned to get a yum backend too. Anaconda already has one now.

Please take PUP out back and beat it to death with a big stick. BAD DOG !

Nah. Just be patient for a while till it gets more functionality during this development cycle and file more feature requests in http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

regards
Rahul