Re: Rawhide install success - NOT?

John Ellson wrote:
G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:25:37AM -0800, MJang wrote:
Folks,

Just reporting success with an install from today's (11-18) Rawhide on
my HP Laptop (ze4500 series). Presumably with the freeze in effect,
today's build is essentially the same as what we'll see from FC5 Test 1.
So if you want a pre-preview.....

Thanks,
Mike

On the other hand....
Some module being probed during hardware initialization is munging my
video display.  This has happened with the Trident Cyberblade/i1 and an
ATI Rage XL card.

The screen comes back from reset with vertical lines and bits of text
(not even whole letters!) between the lines.  I've moved the tridentfb
module out of the way, and that implies that it's some other module that
is the culprit.  I'm off the hunIn my case I probl.
Any chance it could be hal, perhaps on an Athlon?

I upgraded five i686 boxes and one Athlon yesterday, and only the Athlon had problems.
I couldn't get X to start.  I tried three different graphics cards
without success.  Eventually I downgraded hal and that fixed it.

I don't recall why I suspected hal. Something in /var/log/messages I think.

John

It wasn't hal I downgraded, it was udev.  From udev-075-2 to udev-075-1.

Sorry for the false accusations against hal.