Re: Why are you using rawhide (Re: Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs)

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

Good question. Perhaps people using rawhide can let the list know these details. Quick survey for those interested.

* Where did you learn about the existance of rawhide from?

Googling RHEL 3.0 issues a couple of years ago and saw the Fedora books on the shelf at the bookstore.

* How did you get started on using it?

Downloaded FC2T1, installed and learned from the series. Joined the FC lists. Filed a couple of bug reports. Installed FC3T1 and continued on. Currently have FC2 final with updates to legacy point, FC3 with updates, FC4 with updates and Rawhide on a multi-boot system. The Rawhide installation started as FC3T1 and has been updated from development since then (some wild times!!). The multiboot system also has the other major distros installed.

* What motivates use to use it?

It is challenging and fun to keep Rawhide up-to-date and to compare its features with the other distros (SuSE, Mandriva, Gentoo, Slack, Debian, RHEL 4 and a couple other derivatives).

The lists are invaluable for the testing that I try to do. Also, as always, Google is our friend.

regards
Rahul

--
Regards,