Re: Random rpm script failures

The scripts are all different...one of them runs /sbin/ldconfig and fails...

Sure.  You told us that; but you never gave any hints why this may
be happening.  Misconfigured, and/or missing labels,  selinux?
I have both kinds - misconfigured and missing labels... but in permissive mode this should not cause failures.
Hardware problems? Some libraries shot?
Not that I know of...
 Do you have some working crystal ball to lend?

I'm not sure a crystal ball is required - I was just looking for some expertise on when RPM scripts can fail with exit code of 255. I suppose I could figure that out myself, but I thought it'd be simpler to ask...
It is not even clear if you did try to run failing scripts "by hand".
Running /sbin/ldconfig seems to work fine, with exit code of 0