Re: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

On 10/21/2005 08:18 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:27 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
Doesn't seem to work here. It asks for the encryption key, sets the key
correctly and the link is working. IPv6 autonegotiation works and
connectivity is working -- I can see traffic on the network with
tcpdump. But there's no DHCP request, so no Legacy IP address, and very
soon it asks me for another encryption key.

Upon rebuilding it to debug, I found that it refused to build unless I
had a newer wireless-tools package installed. That newer wireless-tools
seems to have been sufficient to make it work -- you should probably add
it to the RPM requirements.
> cd builds/rpms/NetworkManager/FC-4
> grep wireless-tools NetworkManager.spec
NetworkManager.spec:20:Requires: wireless-tools >= 28-0.pre9
NetworkManager.spec:31:BuildRequires: wireless-tools >= 28-0.pre9

I'm not sure how that is failing for your version. That is there in the spec file... Suggestions as to how to fix are appreciated.

However, it's still not particularly user-friendly. I was asked again
for the WEP key and accidentally entered it as a passphrase instead of a
hex key. Then I couldn't work out how to _change_ the WEP key. It was
unable to connect, of course, but it didn't ask me for the key again.

Eventually I was able to enter a new key by killing
'gnome-keyring-daemon'. Not the most user-friendly experience.

Unfortunately I'm also required to enter my password for
gnome-keyring-daemon each time I boot the laptop, before the wireless
network will connect. I'm sure it used to connect as soon as the machine
booted, but now it's waiting for me -- that's a fairly significant
regression, since I'm used to just powering the laptop up and walking
away from it, then logging in over the network.

Before, we used to store the WEP keys in plain text on the disk. Now we use gnome-keyring-manager which encrypts the passwords, and in theory is a better experience. Having to enter your keyring password is a "regression" in that sense, I suppose. There's a bug filed in gnome CVS I believe to get the keyring to not require login if the user has "log me in to GNOME automatically" enabled.