Re: x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Panu Matilainen wrote:

Get over it, yum isn't forcing anything, you can't even tell it to force anything! The same thing happens with rpm-cli as well: when you install/upgrade both the i386 and x86_64 packages simultanously, rpm "swallows" file conflicts between multilib packages.

Aha. Thanks for explaining that. I've only ever noticed it with yum because yum does multi-lib, and hence it's always been use of yum which has lead to file clobbering due to multi-arch packaging errors.

Apologies for maligning yum so. ;)

Whether that's a sane thing to do is another question.

It's dangerous / not sane IMHO.

The worst case I had was where some key arch-dependent glibc files got clobbered (FCtest days) - rescue CD time. I'd really much rather have packaging deficiencies get flagged, and have rpmlib (and hence, very indirectly, yum) refuse to install them than risk important stuff being clobbered.

Could it be changed? :)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@xxxxxxxx	paul@xxxxxxxxx	Key ID: 64A2FF6A