Re: Anaconda question

James C. Bevier wrote:

I have tried to update a FC2 system with FC4 and FC3.  Each release just
asks me what type of installation I want.  I want to upgrrade, but that does
not seem to be an option.  What does anaconda look for to determine if the
current system can be upgraded or not?  Fedora-release and redhat-release
are in /etc and contains the information for Fedora Core 2.  What do I need
to do to get anaconda to let me do an upgrade?

Jim

   Jim:

As best as I can recall, the option to upgrade appears after you select to install, (by pressing enter at the linux: prompt) and after the media check sections. Somewhere down the road, you are told that some versions of linux are detected and you are at that time asked if you want to upgrade or wipe out existing installs. Basically, AFAICT the only difference between the options is that upgrading does not reformat partitions so that existing files are overwritten.

A word of caution though. when you upgrade to FC4 some programs are not upgraded as they have been moved to extras, so be sure to do a yum update as soon as you can

Scott