Re: development (rawhide) testing

Gene C. wrote:

OK, I need some help/advice here.

For the last week or two I have been trying to get a copy of development installed with no real success.

I downloaded the development tree yesterday (i386/images/* and i386/Fedora/base/* and i386/Fedora/RPMS/*).

My first attempt was to unstall as a vmware guest BUT anaconda died.

My second attempt was to install on an Opteron BUT the skge driver is not loaded.

My third attempt was to install on a new Athlon64 X2 4400+ BUT anaconda died again.

Back to the drawing boards ... I have FC4 installed in all of these environments and it works (both i386 and x86_64 on the real hardware).

So, I did a "small but meaningful" install of FC4 under vmware ... works fine. I then used yum to update/upgrade to development. This worked but a bit less than more (the development kernel gets a panic but the "current FC4 kernel works more or less). After having updated a lot of stuff the system is acting a bit strange.
I general I do recommend doing a minimal installation of the current version of then doing a yum update after enabling the development repository. A direct net installation of rawhide can fail either due to a network usage or do to a breakage in the development tree which is not very unusual.

1. Are others having problems installing development?

There has been recent breakages and there has been a few reports to this and the development list on this but you just seem to have chosen a particularly bad time which is very random

2. Is there a "good point" or "good time" to try installing? I was hoping to try some of the SELinux/MCS stuff before November.
Not really but daily rawhide users in the list will probably have a good idea on the current status. There was a recent joke about setting up a web page with different lights for the current status. Maybe something like that would useful but dropping in a request on the status to the list might before doing a rawhide installation might work for you. In the last day's build or so MCS with targeted policy did start working again for many people

Any help appreciated.

Gene
Use a dedicated system. At many instances rawhide does work but expect breakages to happen. Keep trying. Use the list archives and bugzilla searches. Give it a few days for the bugs you see and report them if they still arent fixed or reported already. Discuss things here and be a happy tester and rawhide might just be gracious with you!

regards
Rahul