Re: Ext2online

Justin Conover wrote:
On 7/7/05, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What does this mean?

[root@cobra ~]# /usr/sbin/ext2online /dev/cobra/root
ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
ext2online: group 0, block 2 not reserved

ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/cobra-root

Did you increase the size first?

lvextend -L+NG /dev/vg/lv

My experience is that when you get the "block N not reserved" message it is because you are attempting to increase the size of the filesystem beyond what can be done online.

An EXT[2|3] filesystem, when created, has a hard limit on the size to which it can grow while mounted - to grow beyond this size requires the file system to be unmounted so that additional data structures can be created within it. I believe the rule of thumb is that you can double the size of the file system from what it was originally while it is mounted, but you cannot go beyond that without unmounting it and extending it.

XFS does not have this restriction, and IIRC neither does ReiserFS.

So, the upshot is that the file system will have to be unmounted and extended. If this is the rootfs then this will have to be done from a rescue disk or from the initrd (what I have done is to create an initrd that extends the partition to the maximum size of the partition it is in, and then I can simply invoke that initrd when needed.)