Re: process hangs on 13xx smp kernels

Mike,

I've already tried acpi=off, apm=off, noapic, and vdso=0, none have had any effect ...

- Jonathan

Mike Pepe wrote:

Jonathan Deitch wrote:

Ok, followup ...

I've installed from scratch, selecting "server", and allowing all defaults, both FC3 and FC4T3.

Stock, off the CDs, both fail in SMP mode on my motherboard. After installing all available upgrades via "yum upgrade", both still fail ... even the much vaunted new 1363 kernel for 4T3.

FC3 simply does the same thing (all IO ceases the second the kernel inits, so once login arrives it's dead)

FC4T3 sees 3 out of 4 cpus (3 penguins) and instantly reboots.

Anyone got any ideas? I find it absolutely ridiculous that no flavor of Fedora so far works in smp on my motherboard ... :-( Knoppix boots right into smp, no problems whatsoever.

- JD

I've got a bunch of SMP boxes running FC3 and FC4T3. Not all SMP boxes are created equal.

I've got a pair of Intel quad P3 Xeon boxes... they work fine, no special stuff needed.

I've got 4 dual P3-1000 machines (Gigabyte motherboards) These things suck. Unless you append acpi=off to the kernel boot string, they randomly reboot, hang, freeze, etc.

And a Compaq DL380, won't run single or dual cpu correctly unless acpi=off is appended to the boot options.

Try turning off acpi, that seems to fix lots of smp issues for me.