Re: ext3 compiled-in vs module in FC4

Tim Taranov wrote:

I thougt so too, howevever double, triple checking everything wasn't helping.
Then I found some threads somewhere on google about the same problem
and they all were coming having ext3 compiled-in. When I did this -
the boot issue went away.

On 5/23/05, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:33:33PM -0400, Tim Taranov wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I was wondering why FC4 has ext3 as a kernel module rather than having
> it  compiled into the kernel?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I encountered an issue with booting
> FC4 from a raid volume with ext3 compiled as a module (the default
> configuration) - the kernel would panic after not being able to mount
> /. After I rebuilt the kernel to have the ext3 compiled-into the
> kernel, the booting problem went away (my /boot and / are ext3-based,
> running off a h/w raid controller based volume).
>
> I was using the default FC4 test 3 at the time - I haven't tried it
> with the latest kernel, but I suspect the results may be the same.

If your initrd is made correctly, it shouldn't matter which way
its built.

              Dave

I am using FC4 test3 and I compiled kernel 2.6.11.10 and ext3 as a modules and I have no problems. It boots clean everytime.