Re: gaim & something else

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

 On 5/5/05, Matthew Lenz <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> you shouldn't be having that problem with fc4t2 as i was under the
> impression it used dmix (alsa software mixing) by default.

 I do find that pure OSS apps still don't go through dmix -- e.g., if
 I'm using skype, I can't do anything else sound-related, and if aRts
 is running skype won't connect. Is there anything that you can put
 into .asoundrc to make OSS emulation go through dmix?

 MEF

I'd love to have pure OSS apps software mixing nicely with other OSS/ALSA apps too. I have had limited success with playback-only mixing but never when a capture device is involved. I am currently having problems mixing Teamspeak2 with anything else. Also if any sound app is open when I start Firefox, any flash that plays has no sound. The joys of running closed-source apps, I guess. I am just patiently waiting for new versions that support ALSA.

Some other dmix hints might be found here.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
/Mike