Amanda/Bacula (was Re: Fedora 5 wish list)

Mark Bradbury wrote:
I would like to see bacula replace amanda as the backup software for
fedora (not counting tar and dump) bacula at least spans tapes and
seems to be much more functional ( its just missing pools)

bacula link here http://www.bacula.org/

what do you think

ps. I've just been on a legato networker training camp and have been
comparing backup "solutions" so my mind could be warped

Perusing the bacula docs it does not appear to have automatic scheduling of full/incremental backups. This feature of amanda is absolutely critical for our usage. Also, there is a tape/volume splitting patch making its way into amanda. I used it for a while with success.

But that said, I don't suppose either is going away. Package it up for extras as suggested - let's get it out there. It may be more useful for folks as a default backup program.