Re: Upgrade to FC4 final?

Dan Bongert wrote:

Surely an yum upgrade from FC4T3 to FC4 final would work better than
going from RH8 to FC1? I'd think most of the packages would be exactly
the same, right?

In theory.

However, "upgrading" from the latest test release sometimes includes downgrading to a more stable package if something didn't work out during testing. This is a failure mode that is not present in stable to stable updates. Also, there is more cruft (misnamed config files/options, bad dependencies, etc.) that gathers during test releases than stable releases since there is no commitment/promises made during test releases to clear it out.

Those are the sorts of things that cause the most grief and require manual intervention in my experience.

/Mike