Re: rawhide report: 20050420 changes

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 12:18 -0400, Ken Nordquist wrote:

I received this message when installing kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4.x86_64:

Failed to mmap /usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1251_FC4-x86_64/./include/config/MARKER
Failed to mmap ./include/config/MARKER

Same problem noted here. I also observed that these errors referenced kernel versions that I no longer have on this system. The error seems to be related to kernel-devel because the errors included an uninstalled kernel, however the devel packages ae never removed.

kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1236_FC4 - error referenced
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1238_FC4 - need to manually remove
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4

vs.

 rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4
kernel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4

Another datapoint concerns compiling vmware where the later kernels would lock up th system after the act of compiling the modules.

On reboot, I saw two errors for udev, but they went by so quickly I cannot tell you more. After logging in to my user account, I found I could not "see" past my NIC. I could not ping anything which needed name resolution - unfortunately I was not smart enough to try to ping an ip address. Running ifconfig showed nothing unusual and the boot log did not reveal the udev error I saw upon boot. I subsequently uninstalled the 1251 kernel and all is well again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that these issues
are related to your network problems as it works for me.

Running 1251 without network problems surrounding connectivity also.

Jim

Rodd

--
We are the people our parents warned us about.