Re: Forwarding roots mail

Tom wrote:

On Monday 18 April 2005 06:54, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Mo, den 18.04.2005 schrieb Joe um 12:39:
I did this just by creating .forward in /root and adding the following:

joe@bean (bean is the home ocmputers names)

Hope this helps.
It will help not.

Joe

Here is the message I'm receiving:

Returned mail: see transcript for details
Date: 04-17-2005 0429
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The original message was received at Sun, 17 Apr 2005 04:29:32 -0700
from root@localhost

root
(reason: 553 5.5.4 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Real domain name required
for sender address)
(expanded from: root)
The DSN the recipient MTA gives is pretty clear. It does not accept
unresolvable domain names - which is fine.

Alexander

Hi Alexander:

So how do I get the name to resolve now? Between /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/hosts I would think that would not be a problem.

/etc/resolve.conf <<<
search home
nameserver 204.127.198.4
nameserver 63.240.76.4
nameserver 12.242.16.50

/etc/hosts <<<
192.168.0.10	linux.home	linux
127.0.0.1	linux2	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.0.20	dos.home	dos
192.168.0.30	win2k.home	win2k
192.168.0.40	betty.home	betty
192.168.0.50	laptop.home	laptop
192.168.0.100	test.home	test
192.168.0.15	linux2.home	linux2

I had some questions in my original post that your comment above don't answer. What is it in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc that needs to be changed?

Sorry if I seem dense. Getting older and beginning to have dementia problems is my only excuse. Thanks for your help, both for myself and others on this list.

Thanks, Tom
Tom,

First, 'ping localhost.home', if ping does not receive any replies do the following:

In your /etc/hosts file, add 'localhost.home' to the line for 127.0.0.1 so it looks like this:

127.0.0.1    linux2    localhost.localdomain    localhost    localhost.home

There is no need for any big Sendmail tweaks since your local machine is just trying (unsuccessfully) to deliver to itself.

Regards,

Ken