Re: text login as default?

> First, the rpmnew files are a feature of the rpm not yum. You would
> see them created similarly if using up2date or other high level
> packaging tool layered over rpm.  So let's not confuse the issue by
> implying to other people this is a yum specific issue.

I wasn't implying anything, I was only describing a situation and asking a
question about it. My apologies if the terms of the description and/or of the
question weren't accurate enough.

> Second, I haven't seen anyone suggest to me that its a good idea to
> blindly replace your working config files with the rpmnew files.
> rpmnew files are created when the rpm system sees that a config file
> is no longer stock and has been customized.  rpmnew files only exist
> because your configs have been changed from what rpm understands to be
> a default file.

This is precisely the answer to my question, which originally was "how are we
supposed to handle rpmnew files". I asked here because I was obviously
completely wrong in my assumption of the nature of these rpmnew files. My
double mistake. Thanks for your clarity, and sorry for the bother.