Re: No Grub menu on dual boot!

duralisis wrote:

I'm trying to dual boot XP and FC4T2 on separate drives. XP is on hda, Fedora on hdb. I've had a working FC3 install for a while and instead of using grub, I used NTLDR by copying the boot sector of the second drive and adding a boot.ini entry.

But, I tried doing a clean install of Test 2 (wiped entire second drive clean), only this time I told it to install the boot loader into the MBR of hda. I thought this would make Grub my default boot menu now. But it didn't. Instead it still boots straight into XP after a brief flicker of a black screen (no prompt, no flash of Grub in the corner or anything).

I added an entry back into boot.ini to see if that would boot my new install (like before), and it doesn't work. I get a "cannot load from harddisk, insert system disk" bootpart error. Again, this was all working just fine in FC3. I've only tried to use Grub in the MBR this time like most people would.

Other than the default install options and automatic partitioning of hdb, I only chose Other (Windows XP) to be the default boot target during install.

Why can't FC4 boot?  Where did Grub go?  Why is NTLDR still there?

I've found a solution for my problem and have a completely documented thread at FedoraForums. Take a look if you're having the same difficulty after install.

For reference, I needed to boot into rescue mode by booting the first cd and running

"linux rescue"

then changing the system root

"chroot /mnt/sysimage"

finally running grub and setting up my 2nd drive...

"grub"
   grub> root (hd1,0) (since fedora /boot is on /hdb)
   grub> setup (hd0) (still the mbr of the first hd)
   grub> quit