Re: HelixPlayer (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 15:52 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:58:12 -0400, Richard Ramson wrote:

Does HelixPlayer work?  When I tried to use it, I got the message that
I had to use Realplayer.  Has anyone ever been able to get HelixPlayer
to work without Realplayer?

Please don't top-post.

Yes, HelixPlayer works for the media formats it supports, e.g. Ogg Vorbis
Theora.

Which of course begs the question, why does Helix Player offer to play
real media formats if it doesn't support them?

Actually, it prompts the question (sorry, grammatical anal-retentiveness). As for the reason why, I think this press release explains it all:

http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/real_redhat.html

Personally, I don't get why Fedora doesn't go with Totem and drop Helix. Is Fedora obligated to uphold the same agreement? The way I see it, Helix Player just isn't in demand. see:

http://www.bash.org/?478519

Glen.